Friday, November 16, 2012

Commentary on Student Blog


Well said! I completely agree with this post, and applaud you for wording it so well. I’m forever mystified by women supporting a party so actively antagonistic towards them. I was absolutely disgusted when I heard Akin insist that our bodies have the ability to “just shut that whole thing down” in a case of “legitimate” rape. Seriously? I guess only white males are privy to the secrets and mysteries of the female body. And you also need to divine what “legitimate rape” is according to a member of the GOP…because it seems that they feel most women are “asking to be raped” by doing anything that accentuates or celebrates their femininity or sexuality.
  Rush Limbaugh is a different bin of manure entirely. When I heard him proclaim that any woman who uses birth control is a slut, I was flabbergasted. Part of me thinks he said it solely for ratings because surely, *surely* no one can be enough of an idiot to not understand the full range of what birth control does. Certainly, it can be quite useful in preventing pregnancy. It can also be amazingly useful in managing conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), irregular or painful menstruation, endometriosis, and certain hormonal imbalances. I guess all these women who wish to lower their risk of ovarian and endometrial cancer must be tremendous sluts…either that, or Mr. Limbaugh didn’t do his research. Guess which option I’m betting on. Do these people not even consider doing research?        
  The fact that the GOP claims the war on women is a falsehood is absolutely ridiculous to me. In Arizona, legislation was passed that effectively removes any rights a woman has over her reproductive system. Guess who sponsored that legislation? A Republican. Personally, I believe that abortion is an option that all women should have available to them. I don’t know if it is something I could do, but I’ve known women in situations where it was the only option. No woman should ever be forced to carry a child to term when it is medically known that the fetus is not viable and will not survive beyond birth. The decision to terminate a pregnancy is often one that haunts women who have had to make that choice. My mother was forced to undergo two abortions before I was born due to her age and it was an experience which tormented her to her dying day. Though some women do use termination as a birth control method, many women do not and they certainly don’t take it lightly.
  “How about admitting that you will never understand what it is to be a woman. That you will never know what it is like to become pregnant, whether by choice or as a result of rape or incest.” This is absolutely correct and males in any kind of policy-making position should heed these words. I don’t believe men should have any kind of say in what a female can and should do with her body. A man will never ever *ever* understand what it is to be pregnant. A man will never understand the physical toll a pregnancy can take on a body. A man will never understand the heartbreak of finding out your baby will not survive to term. A man will never understand what it’s like to carry a child as a consequence of unwanted sexual violence. Certainly, some men might be able to understand on a conceptual level, and some may be able to sympathize…but they will never be able to empathize with any of those positions. Honestly, I believe the time and energy of the GOP would be better spent doing some ACTUAL good for the citizens of our country instead of treating the sexuality of women like some nuclear arms threat. Seriously, boys…I promise we won’t turn into terrifying amazons and wreak havoc on your little card houses if you leave our ovaries unattended.

No comments:

Post a Comment